Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 3 - Kinsale to Kenmare and the Southwest Coast

Today was my first full day on the motorcycle and it was a great day for riding, but not a great day for photography. The sunshine of the last couple of days gave way to gray skies but luckily, no rain...so far. I spent most of the day exploring the isolated southwest Irish peninsulas, riding out to Mizen Head, the southwestern most point in Ireland. The land on the peninsula was windswept, stark, and beautiful.

Looking inland from the coast road.

Paul warned me before I left Naas that travel is slow in Ireland. He was right. The roads twist and turn and you are often lucky to average 40 miles per hour for any length of time. But the rewards are many. On a motorcycle, these roads are perfect!

Looking back across to the mainland from Crookhaven.

The beach near Brow Head. It was as cold as it looks. And there were kids at the far end of the beach surfing. Brrrr!!!

The view near Goleen, into Toormore Bay.

By the time I got back to Bantry Bay, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day again. I decided to make a stop at the famous Bantry House on my way to Kenmare, my destination for the night.
Bantry House was built about 1700 and purchased in 1750 by Richard White, the Earl of Bantry. The White family are still the owners of the home, however the Earl title has left the family because of their inability to produce male heirs in prior generations. The house is decorated with furniture and art that the White family has acquired over the last two and a half centuries.

The beautiful circular gardens at Bantry House, complete with lawn tennis court and canons to protect against invaders...or unwanted tennis guests.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hence the name "Emerald Isle"!! Pics and commentary are great, thanks for sharing, Bill. I have enjoyed sharing your trip, and look forward to hearing more stories in person!! Lift a pint for me!!

Connie said...

You never cease to amaze me. Love the pics and the blog...Connie